[Project_owners] XPInstall Js in FireFox

Robin Monks devlinks at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 19:43:52 EDT 2004

Hi!
I'll pop in my comments below...

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:42:22 -0400, Christopher Ottley
<xknight at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Robin,
>
> I've seen some javascript installation code out there that can only be
> described as a mess, so I can see why the RDF route is more manageable.
> At first, I also didn't like the idea of needing the RDF when the
> existing javascript installer code worked just fine. The RDF version
> however does 99% of what I need it to do for my MAF project. The last 1%
> (copying some files to a non-chrome directory) was done by a post
> install script in my application itself.
Yes, the idea is that preferences, etc. can be run in a .js that the
installer itself would launch.

>     I'm curious to know what more you need from the installer. If it's
> really a lot of stuff, you can always re-implement the javascript
> installer APIs you need using XPCOM and "eval" a postinstall.js script.
> I even think you were the one that suggested a
> <em:postinstall>postinstall.js</em:postinstall> addition to the RDF
> based extension manager. Does anyone know if this is being considered by
> the firefox developers? Is all the functionality of the older javascript
> version going to be totally duplicated eventually?

Yes, I did suggest that.  I'm afraid it was ignored.  Too bad too.  I
hope it is worked on.

DevLinks     | http://newsletter.mozdev.org
cuneAform  | http://cuneaform.mozdev.org
OneClick     | http://oneclick.mozdev.org