[Project_owners] XPInstall Js in FireFox

Christopher Ottley xknight at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 10 18:42:22 EDT 2004

I've seen some javascript installation code out there that can only be
described as a mess, so I can see why the RDF route is more manageable.
At first, I also didn't like the idea of needing the RDF when the
existing javascript installer code worked just fine. The RDF version
however does 99% of what I need it to do for my MAF project. The last 1%
(copying some files to a non-chrome directory) was done by a post
install script in my application itself.
    I'm curious to know what more you need from the installer. If it's
really a lot of stuff, you can always re-implement the javascript
installer APIs you need using XPCOM and "eval" a postinstall.js script.
I even think you were the one that suggested a
<em:postinstall>postinstall.js</em:postinstall> addition to the RDF
based extension manager. Does anyone know if this is being considered by
the firefox developers? Is all the functionality of the older javascript
version going to be totally duplicated eventually?

(Project MAF)