[Project_owners] Changing contents.rdf / overlays dynamically

Brian King brian at mozdev.org
Mon Jul 5 19:12:36 EDT 2004

I'm wondering if anyone has done something like the following?:

- I have a bunch of UI widgets, split between different overlay files
- I want to pick and choose which ones to use/pull in, which can be
different in any given session.
- The contents.rdf file that defines the overlays, when registered
creates an overlays.rdf file in
chrome/overlayinfo/<extension>/content/overlays.rdf
- Until now, I do this by hand editing contents.rdf, and re-registering
the chrome.

What I would like to do is:
- Provide a GUI for choosing which widgets to appear, and the checkboxes
would map to different overlay files.
- Modify contents.rdf, or even better directly overlays.rdf based on
users choice, via script.
- A restart is not a problem, this is factored in a necessity

Any ideas?

--
Brian King
www.mozdev.org - free project hosting for the mozilla community