[Project_owners] MOZLIB and JSLib

Fournier Daniel dfour at noos.fr
Mon Jan 12 08:36:33 EST 2004

Biju G C wrote:
>  --- Daniel Fournier <zdev at noos.fr> wrote:
>
>>Mozlib was developed to avoid this weakness, with strict OOP and extreme
>>programing style in mind: it uses carefully designed classes (and very
>>few singleton objects: even constants are encapsulated within classes to
>>avoid global namespace polution), a strict and explicit naming scheme to
>>improve understandability, very specialized self-documented methods, a
>>clear class inheritance design based on well known patterns, all that
>>using JavaScript as you would use Java: with discipline.
>>The result is a library easy to maintain, easy to extend and easy to use.
>

> Can others use MozLib?
> Do we have some sort of documentaion?

Of course, everyone can use Mozlib. Thanks to RAF, you have a link to
install Mozlib as a standalone library at ExtensionRoom
(<http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/>).

To ease the developer customization of Mozlib (if needed), the package
is not installed as a jar but as an uncompressed directory.

There is no documentation yet -- and, for that reason, no specific
Mozdev project for this library, as you have for JSLib. However, the
code is almost self-documenting (I hope so). The code style is rather
"exotic" from a Mozilla development point of view, but it is to make it
as readable as possible.
This self-documentation strictly observe a set conventions I choosed and
notably uses a few number of markers to identify the code entities:
method, parameter type, etc. or purpose. And, of course, when something
seems not "obvious", a short comment is used.

But, something is really lacking, it's a global vision of each package
and module and a test file to examplify the library use. Of course, I
use tests to develop these library modules, but they need some cleaning
to be usable by someone else.

Let me know if you want to have a more detailed insight of Mozlib, its
design, its documentation conventions, etc. It could be a way to start a
public documentation and a true standalone Mozdev project.

Cheers,

Daniel