[Project_owners] Dead before Born

David Boswell davidwboswell at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 17:00:40 EST 2004

> Before somebody starts a new project they should describe and discuss
> project_owners at mozdev.org then if he finds no other similar project
> exist he should ask Admins to allocate new project.

on the start new project page we request that people look at existing
projects before requesting to start a new one, although clearly not
everyone does.  in the past, we have also replied to people who request
similar projects and point them out to the existing ones and suggest
they contribute to those instead of starting a new one.

in my experience over the last several years i've found that people by
and large want to work on their own thing.  very few people who i
contacted about similar projects decided not to start the project they
requested.

i think a project hosting site just needs to accept that they will be
starting a bunch of similar projects.  in my opinion, our effort should
go into making those projects as easy to find as possible instead of
not allowing some people to start projects they are interested in.
this just seems to be the open source way.  how many text editors or
mail clients are up on freshmeat?

david