[Project_owners] Questions and a little rant of my mind...

mark bokil mbokil at bokil.com
Tue Jan 6 10:07:26 EST 2004

Doron Rosenberg wrote:
> Ben Bucksch wrote:
>
>> Hey HJ
>>
>> HJ wrote:
>>
>>> May all of you, except one (me), be blessed with good heath,
>>> knowledge and wisdom for 2004.
>>>
>> No, you too! :-)
>>
>>> 3) How would you feel/react when someone copies your (hard)
>>> work/project without giving you some sort of credit?
>>>   - what about copyrights for Open SOurce software?

Well, I think you have to realistic and keep a flexible mind when it
comes to credit for source code. Generally if something is very generic
and you found it and cut and pasted it and tweaked it a little I
wouldn't bother giving credit. Just think what would your code would be
like if each time you saw some snipit of code you felt you had to add a
credit comment for it. Eventually you would spend a lot of time just
maintaining credit comments -- not really the job of a busy developer.

But, if the code is substantial and unique and the owner released it as
open source it would be nice if developers included a credit to the
owner -- though I wouldn't demand it since if you are releasing it as
open source with no strings attatched then you can't expect too much in
return.

-mark