[Project_owners] Getting OS and CPU type via XPInstall...

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch.news at beonex.com
Mon Feb 9 13:18:45 EST 2004

Roland Mainz wrote:

>Solaris exists on both SPARC and
>x86/x86_64 and Linux... well... x86, IA64, PPC, ARM, MIPS, etc. ... -
>the list is endless and I have to provide seperate binaries for all the
>different types... ;-(

So, why are you checking in the XPI (after the user downloaded it, so he
has to download all binaries for all platforms?) and not in the install
trigger on the webpage, which selects the right XPI (for the right
platform)? Most browsers have the OS-type, OS and CPU type in their user
agent (although that's not failure-proof, so you should offer manual XPI
downloads as well, that's what my script aimed for, see archive of this
list).