[Project_owners] Revive and maintain old extensions

Sergey A. Chernyshev urlfix.mozdev.org at antispam.drouk.ru
Tue Dec 21 01:47:54 EST 2004

Projects are never abandoned without any reason - if they are
abandoned then there is no "personal itch" and if so then there is no
way it's going to live - nobody will code anything only because they
want to good to the community.

It's main problem of Open Source and it can't be solved by bruteforce.

On the other hand - liquidation group can start asking quthors of
projects if they think their projects should be closed (project owner
will never kill a project unless it causes him any problems like costs
money or they feel guilt for not maintaining it or don't like their
name to be under dead project).

It also makes sence to try groupping affort promoting group work
instead of a tradition of making many similar extensions (RSS readers
are good example), but writing out of personal itch and without any
other opinions except your own is much easier then collaborate so I'm
not very sure how to effectively promote it. One way is to more
actively use wiki and forums around every project so people can get
closer and feel that collaboration is more effective but still...

That was just my IMHO.

     Sergey

P.S. I'm optimist ;)