[Project_owners] Importing existing CVS repository

Paul Roub paul at roub.net
Thu Dec 9 11:49:52 EST 2004

Alex Eng wrote:

> I have recently started a new project on Mozdev; however, the source
> code for my project is already under version control using CVS on my
> computer.  Is there any way I can have my existing CVS repository
> imported to the online, Mozdev-based CVS repository so that I can
> preserve source file revision histories?  Thanks

There are scripts out there that will do this, one rev, one file at a
time.  Very slow and potentially error-prone.

I would question whether you really need all the history, especially if
you have your own snapshot of the pre-mozdev CVS.  Commit everything
locally, apply a label, grab a clean CVS dump of the source, and import.
  I doubt you ever miss the previous history.

-paul