[Project_owners] Wiki has been spammed

Richard Kirkcaldy lordrich at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 23:50:26 EST 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:31:17 +1100, GuruJ <guruj at mbox.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not sure where the right place is for this, but are people aware that
> the MozDev Wiki (http://wiki.mozdev.org:8080) is now full of spamlinks?
>
> I'm going to try and remove most of them now, but is there any way to
> prevent this abuse in future?

I've also done a load of spam removal tonight, but it looks like
there's still more to get through.  I've subscribed to the RSS feed
and will try and keep an eye on it in future.

As for stopping the abuse in the first place, the only real way is
making people register by using a valid email address - but that goes
against what a wiki is.

I've seen some of the links before on another wiki I help on.  There
we discussed adding a filter in the wiki code to stop the editing of a
page if there is more than (x) number of links, or of course you could
add a captcha.

If you keep removing the links then they appear to give up sometimes.

--
Richard Kirkcaldy

http://firexplorer.mozdev.org