[Project_owners] XMLHttpRequest and Proxies

Sudhakar Chandra thaths at openscroll.org
Fri Dec 3 11:06:32 EST 2004

Didier Ernotte wrote:
> I have the same problem with my extension. Up to the version 0.9.x,
> firefox used to prompt the user for user/password if the XMLHttpRequest
> send a request through the firewall/proxy. Now, with the new firefox
> 1.0, the prompt dialog is no longer display to the user, only an error
> is returned. I have read that there is a openRequest method with 5
> params, 2 for the user/password. I haven't try it yet.
> The work around, now is to authenticate with the browser first (type
> any URL in firefox, and you will be prompt for your user/password), and
> after, it's ok for any request with a XMLHttpRequest .

Thanks for the pointer. I think you have found where the problem lies.

I am deciding whether my application should detect the existence of a
proxy that requires authentication and prompts the user with my custom
UI for username and password or whether I can somehow re-use the
browser's username/password UI.

"If I could just say a few words... I'd be a better public speaker."
                         -- Homer J. Simpson
Slacker Without Borders                        http://openscroll.org/
Key fingerprint = 8A 84 2E 67 10 9A 64 03  24 38 B6 AB 1B 6E 8C E4