[Project_owners] Extension crashing Thunderbird - need talkback reader

Frank moz at supportware.net
Thu Dec 2 12:44:12 EST 2004

Hello all,

I am hoping that someone would know or could point me in the right
direction.

I am writing an extension that unfortunately , under certain
circumstances, crashes Thunderbird.

Is it possible to get the utility that 'reads' the output from talkback ?

I don't really want to send in the report because it is quite obviously
not a bug with the app, but rather some problem with my extension.

The extension is rather complicated, so I don't really want to bother
any of you with the troubleshooting..

The extension allows one to see 'processing xx of yy' in the statusbar when
1) downloading messages
2) uploading 'unsent messages'
and so on

Suffice it to say that I am using JS to recreate the
'@mozilla.org/messenger/statusfeedback;1' component..
Now, believe it or not, everything works just fine, except for one
series of steps that causes the crash..  Unfortunately, it is a very
common series of steps..

The series of steps is
1) click file...Get all new messages ( or press Ctrl-shift-T )
2) click on some message
...before get all messages has completed
...before 10 seconds AFTER get all messages has completed

the crash does NOT occur if
1) Thunderbird gets messages on the timeout (automatic fetch)
2) you wait > 10 secs after manually getting messages before clicking on
another message

I have tried all kinds of workarounds already

So, to sum up - Is it possible to get the utility that 'reads' the
output from talkback ?

Thanks in advance
Frank