[Project_owners] CVS question - binary -> ascii

Mook mook.moz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 11:36:06 EDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:07:06 -0700 (PDT), David Costanzo
<david_costanzo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Mook <mook.moz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, the remove + add worked once I realized that I needed to use
> > -kkv (or something else not -kb) because it was defaulting to binary
> > again :)
>
> I think we should dig a little to understand *why* this happened to
> you.  For me, "cvs add" defaults to adding files as ASCII.  I usually
> have the opposite problem of accidently adding binary files without the
> -kb flag.  So why is your client defaulting to binary for your
> JavaScript files?
>
> My guess is that you have a "smart" CVS client that determines the
> text-ness of your files and "does the right thing" when adding them.
> So why is "the right thing" to treat your JavaScript as binary?  It
> could be that you copied and pasted some UNIX JavaScript into a Windows
> file (or vice-versa), causing mixed end-of-line sequences ("\r\n" for
> Windows "\n" for UNIX) that confuses the "smart" client.  This could
> happen if you copy some JavaScript out of a JAR that was created on
> UNIX into your Windows JavaScript.  If I'm right about this, then you
> may have other problems until you normalize all your end-of-line
> sequences.
>
> To test this theory, open the file up in an editor that will shows you
> the end-of-line sequences.  Most user-friendly editors will hide this
> from you.  On windows, you can use notepad.  Notepad shows a UNIX
> end-of-line sequence as a box (with no newline or carriage return).

Hmm, all of my files are in DOS (CR/LF) format - including the .cpps
that were recognized to text to begin with.  I used the cygwin CVS
client for that add, and the whole of cygwin was setup to use DOS line
endings.  And all of the files are 7-bit ascii (no high bytes
anywhere).  (Oh, yeah, this is on Windows of course - it would be
interesting to see if anyone runs cygwin in Wine though...)

For now, I'll just stick with adding via a client that lets me set
binary/ascii before commiting :)

Mook
mook.moz at gmail