[Project_owners] CVS question - binary -> ascii

Mook mook.moz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 03:08:17 EDT 2004

Thanks, the remove + add worked once I realized that I needed to use
-kkv (or something else not -kb) because it was defaulting to binary
again :)

Brant:
`cvs admin` tells me access denied; I guess we don't have the
permission on the mozdev CVS server.  Explains why my attempts to set
it via Eclipse didn't work too - I guess it was trying to use that.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 03:09:00 -0500, Brant Gurganus
<gurganbl at rose-hulman.edu> wrote:

> David Costanzo wrote:
>
> >Oops.  While the spirit of what I wrote may be correct, I just realized
> >that I goofed on the commands.  Here's a better set of commands:
> >
> >   mv file file.backup
> >   cvs remove file
> >   cvs commit -m 'changing binary to ascii' file
> >   mv file.backup file
> >   cvs add file
> >   cvs commit -m 'changing binary to ascii' file
> >
> >I've never used Tortoise, so I don't know how to do it with that.  But
> >you should be able to do something equivalent.
> >
> >By the way, you should try your best to never modify the ",v" files on
> >the CVS server.  That's really the only way you can make a mistake that
> >you can't recover from.
> >
> >--- David Costanzo <david_costanzo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I've always been able to recover from the binary/ascii mistake by
> >>removing the binary file from CVS, then re-adding it as ASCII (or
> >>vice-versa).
> >>
> >>  rm file
> >>  cvs remove file
> >>  cvs add file

> >>because

> >>(I

> >>work.

> >>one

> >>Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now.
> >>http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

> You can also use:
> cvs admin -k[appropriate keyword substitution type] [files...]

Mook
mook.moz at gmail