[Project_owners] CVS question - binary -> ascii

David Costanzo david_costanzo at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 23:34:38 EDT 2004

Oops.  While the spirit of what I wrote may be correct, I just realized
that I goofed on the commands.  Here's a better set of commands:

   mv file file.backup
   cvs remove file
   cvs commit -m 'changing binary to ascii' file
   mv file.backup file
   cvs add file
   cvs commit -m 'changing binary to ascii' file

I've never used Tortoise, so I don't know how to do it with that.  But
you should be able to do something equivalent.

By the way, you should try your best to never modify the ",v" files on
the CVS server.  That's really the only way you can make a mistake that
you can't recover from.