[Project_owners] Two questions

Tracy Norris tnorris at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 2 00:11:19 EDT 2004

Can anyone out there answer a couple of questions.

1. I've noticed that "global" variables in javascript are only global to
the xul file they are imported into (appearantly). Is there a way to
pass information back to a parent xul when displaying a child dalog? For
instance if I have this code:

function setPassword() {

window.openDialog("chrome://autofill/content/autofill_set_password.xul","autofill_set_password","chrome");
}

which is called when a button is clicked in the preferences dialog. How
do I pass the value entered in a textbox in the autofill_set_password
dialog back to the preferences dialog  and store it in a global variable
there? I've noticed some references on xulplanet which tell me how to
set a xul element in the parent dialog, but not a java script variable.

2. Does anyone know how to have a dialog open centered within the window
(or dialog) that opened it? For instance, in the example above , the
resulting dialog opens in the upper left hand corner of the screen.. I'd
like it to open in the center of the prefences dialog.

Any help is appreciated.