[Project_owners] Adding extra items to a preference panel

Brian King brian at mozdev.org
Mon Apr 12 17:59:25 EDT 2004

On 12.4.2004 0:49, Jaap Haitsma wrote:

> Why is it it not possible to do it on accounts? Because these panels are
> made dynamically??

The panels have fixed widgets, however the label values are filled in
dynamically based on whatever account you click in.

It is possible to add new widgets.

> Do I then have to specify that I overlay the xul file of that specific
> panel or do I have to overlay preftree.xul?

You have to overlay the relevant account manager panel file. There is a
list of them here (the files starting with am-):

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/mailnews/base/prefs/resources/content/

For example, the 'Account Settings - <name here>' panel is am-main.xul
and 'Server Settings' is am-server.xul.

I modifed some of these panels in a customised build, but never
overlayed them via the JAR. But I presume its possible.

Note that getting the new prefs to persist is trickier. Adding a
prefstring will not work, you will have to write some sctipt to get/set
the prefs.

--
Brian King
www.mozdev.org || www.mozdevgroup.com