[Project_owners] Re: Fix for QuickManager Extension

Matthew Wilson matthew at mjwilson.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 4 16:01:45 EDT 2004

Matthew Wilson wrote:
> Martin Hassman wrote:
>

>> But I have created very simple python script for extracting linux
>> permission from the zipfile
>> http://biomikro.vscht.cz/maldiman/hassmanm/projects/testzip.py.txt
>>
>> We have to often check it in the Czech Mozilla version, because we are
>> offering Linux version too.
>>
>> The permissions are stores as external attributes, so teoretically you
>> can overwrite it. I think it could be possible even in some python or
>> perl script, but I have never try it.
>

> Just looking at Archive::Zip in Perl. Its API exposes both
> "unixFileAttributes" and "externalFileAttributes" - I'm not sure of the
> difference between these? The documentation for externalFileAttributes
> just says "Note that these are NOT UNIX!"

After a few tests, it looks like Archive::Zip will, when run on Windows,
create .zip files whose entries have 666 permissions by default. The
'externalFileAttributes' field is also set in a way which is consistent
with the way in which Mozilla sets the attributes when extracting .xpis
(http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/ident?i=ExtractMode).

Matthew