[Project_owners] A MozDev Mission Statement?

John Dobbins john at brandxcomputers.com
Tue Sep 16 12:28:11 EDT 2003

Ben Bucksch wrote:

> Pete Collins wrote:
>
>> It seems like the easiest first *technical* step would be take the
>> latest RELEASE branch and roll it up into a platform distro.
>

> If you are concerned about a stable base, I'd suggest to use the 1.4.x
> release as base, because it will be maintained (read: security fixes
> and important bugfixes) for quite a while with far less drastic changes.

I wouldn't count on the 1.4.x base being maintained.

"We are not trying to stop volunteers and companies from developing the
XPFE-based browser. Several companies have shipped and will ship
products based on this venerable component of the application suite, and
on the entire suite. However, we intend to focus on switching to
separate applications based on the new application architecture
<http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html#application-architecture>.
Therefore it is quite possible that the XPFE-based browser may bit-rot
fairly quickly, so that the 1.4 branch contains its only working form.
If enough contributors sign up to keep the XPFE-based browser working,
mozilla.org will consider supporting that browser on the trunk beyond
1.4. However, it's not clear that we will have all the tinderbox and
other resources needed to keep two different toolkit-based browser
applications well-tested. *We request that those companies and
organizations shipping products based on Mozilla-the-application-suite
let us know their plans in light of this new proposed roadmap."

*http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html

This statement isn't very clear, but I take it to mean that the Mozilla
Foundation is going to let 1.4 bit rot if someone dosen't assume
ownership of it. They intend to concetrate on the seperate aps model.

John Dobbins*

*