[Project_owners] Clarification for a SeaMonkey User

Paul Everitt paul at zope-europe.org
Tue Sep 16 09:30:46 EDT 2003

While I'm not sure about the "will flock to" part, I generally agree
with much of the following.  I've focused my Mozilla development on
richer interactions between client and server.  The stuff below is a
good example, and ten bonus points for using Python. :^)  I view
Topicalla as perhaps the best example of this direction.

Regarding market share, it isn't important to win the browser wars.
The first goal is to get to 20%.  That's the magic number.  And I
disagree with the point that you'll never get average users to change.
It's true, but it doesn't matter.  You can get the number up to 20%
without convincing grandma.  Providing richer networked applications to
governments, NGOs, or even banks is such a course.

Enough of politics.  My main reason for replying is to ask about RDF.
All the discussion so far has been about confusion of the status in the
UI parts of the birds.  I wonder: is RDF in suspended animation?

The RDF machinery is what originally brought me to Moz as a development
platform.  And while the first 80% of my tasks worked as expected, the
last 20% were so immensely painful, error-prone, underdocumented,
orphaned, and frustrating, that I've now given up on RDF-in-Moz.

Is RDF-in-Moz in maintenance mode?  Is it end-of-lifed?  What is its
role in the birds -- to accomplish certain tasks needed to draw an
end-user browser UI on the screen?

--Paul