[Project_owners] Clarification for a SeaMonkey User

Brian King brian at mozdev.org
Sat Sep 13 22:33:11 EDT 2003

Pete Collins wrote:

> So let me see if I have this correct:
>
> Firebird (still referred to as PHOENIX if you are compiling the sucker)
> is a "stand alone" browser.
>
>   9.2M (tarball)
>
> Thunderbird is a "stand alone" mail client:
>
>   9.5M (tarball)
>
> So for a browser and mail client:
>
>   9.2M + 9.5M = 18.7 M download

The aim is to make these smaller.

> Is there a compelling reason why I would want to use Firebird/Thunderbird?

Maybe not you, but many many people didn't want the bloat. They didn't
want Composer, Chatzilla ... and all the other extras.

> What is the future of the Mozilla/SeaMonkey suite?

Signs are that it is being phased out. See (though out of date):

http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/branding.html

"After the release of 1.4 we will be doing our primary development on
the Firebird and Thunderbird projects.  When we do releases of that
codebase we should be using self-descriptive brand identities for the
public and the press."

> Why all the disparate shoot offs of the same Mozilla base libraries?
>
> Why not have the Mozilla browser be "the main browser". The Mozilla mail
> client be "the main mail cleint" etc. Unify the effort to making these
> be best they can possibly be? If Firebird and Thunderbird are the new
> "defacto" effort, then call them "Mozilla". Then offer stand alone
> distributions of each module for end users who don't want an entire suite.

Again in the branding document, Phoenix/Firebird is supposed to evolve
into Mozilla Browser, and Thunderbird into Mozilla Mail. This naming
policy has not happened, and there are no signs that it will.

> AFAIK, no one owns SeaMonkey anymore. Am I correct in presuming it is
> essentially abandoned?

No, branches are still maintained (1.4, 1.5 ...). For whom I am not
sure. Legacy reasons perhaps (netscape) ... third party developers?

> Or does Netscape still retain some kind of intellectual property
> ownership of the old suite?

AOL you mean. Doubt it ... only the Netscape name. The code was handed
off to the Mozilla Foundation.

> I personally prefer to run ./mozilla instead of ./MozillaFirebird.

I run mozilla -mail, and MozillaFirebird. The two can co-exist :) I will
probably switch to Thunderbird around v0.4.

> Or is all of this just a "transitional" stage until "Gecko Runtime
> Environment" (Mozilla base libraries)  is mature enough to use as an SDK
> and Firebird and Thunderbird can eventually be released as xpi packages
> that install on top of a base GRE install?

And Calendar, and Chatzilla, and <insert your favourite extension here>.

> I don't think Mozilla.org is doing a good job *clearly* articulating at
> a higher level the direction the project is heading.

Agreed. A clearly defined plan, well publicised and executed .... is
badly needed.

--
Brian King
www.mozdev.org