[Project_owners] Clarification for a SeaMonkey User

Axel Hecht ah at numerik.uni-kiel.de
Sat Sep 13 19:32:12 EDT 2003

Pete Collins wrote:

> Is there a compelling reason why I would want to use Firebird/Thunderbird?

If you crash, you only crash one of them. If that crash borks your
profile, you just lost one. Of course, in theory, the separate apps are
supposed to be faster, due to less UI cruft. I personally doubt that
firebird with the set of extensions that a Dodobird user wants will be
really that much faster. Taken that the speed difference is blamed on
> What is the future of the Mozilla/SeaMonkey suite?
I said Dodobird, I like the term. Honestly, I guess noone knows. Because
up to now, the real beef of the "bird scenario" hasn't come to life.
> Why all the disparate shoot offs of the same Mozilla base libraries?

In theory, all of those birds should work off the same GRE. Not working
right now, due to #ifdefs for both fire and thunderbird in the GRE libs.
Url handling and such. At least. And, of course, there is no application
runner yet, so that pure js apps like chatzilla have no base upon which
they'd be ported to toolkit.
> Why not have the Mozilla browser be "the main browser". The Mozilla mail
> client be "the main mail cleint" etc. Unify the effort to making these
> be best they can possibly be? If Firebird and Thunderbird are the new
> "defacto" effort, then call them "Mozilla". Then offer stand alone
> distributions of each module for end users who don't want an entire suite.
> AFAIK, no one owns SeaMonkey anymore. Am I correct in presuming it is
> essentially abandoned?
> Or does Netscape still retain some kind of intellectual property
> ownership of the old suite?
> I personally prefer to run ./mozilla instead of ./MozillaFirebird.
> Or is all of this just a "transitional" stage until "Gecko Runtime
> Environment" (Mozilla base libraries)  is mature enough to use as an SDK
> and Firebird and Thunderbird can eventually be released as xpi packages
> that install on top of a base GRE install?

> I don't think Mozilla.org is doing a good job *clearly* articulating at
> a higher level the direction the project is heading.

Gerv said in a comment to the driver minutes that they are actually in
the process of adapting the roadmap to reality. I for one do think that
half of the right story would be great today, but if I had to find out
what's really the right half of the story, I'd prolly have people wait
for it like drivers do.
> You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I am still relatively new to the
> Mozilla project., I got involved April 1999.
> --pete

Another See-that-monkey