[Project_owners] Clarification for a SeaMonkey User

Pete Collins pete at mozdev.org
Sat Sep 13 13:17:21 EDT 2003

I'm a SeaMonkey user (have been for a very long time). I use the
traditional Mozilla "Browser Suite" in my day to day life. I frequently
hack and distribute Phoenix/Firebird (whatever it's called now)
browsers.  I just downloaded Thunderbird mail/news.

So let me see if I have this correct:

Firebird (still referred to as PHOENIX if you are compiling the sucker)
is a "stand alone" browser.

   9.2M (tarball)

Thunderbird is a "stand alone" mail client:

   9.5M (tarball)

So for a browser and mail client:

   9.2M + 9.5M = 18.7 M download

Mozilla (SeaMonkey) is a "Browser Suite":

   15M (tarball) download

So if I want a browser and mail I need to install Firebird *and*
Thunderbird, extract them seperately and have them occupy complete
*separate* redundant distributons of the Mozilla base libraries.

Or I can use Mozilla (SeaMonkey) and get a browser, mail/news, html
editor, addressbook, etc for a 15M download.

Is there a compelling reason why I would want to use Firebird/Thunderbird?

What is the future of the Mozilla/SeaMonkey suite?

Why all the disparate shoot offs of the same Mozilla base libraries?

Why not have the Mozilla browser be "the main browser". The Mozilla mail
client be "the main mail cleint" etc. Unify the effort to making these
be best they can possibly be? If Firebird and Thunderbird are the new
"defacto" effort, then call them "Mozilla". Then offer stand alone
distributions of each module for end users who don't want an entire suite.

AFAIK, no one owns SeaMonkey anymore. Am I correct in presuming it is
essentially abandoned?

Or does Netscape still retain some kind of intellectual property
ownership of the old suite?

I personally prefer to run ./mozilla instead of ./MozillaFirebird.

Or is all of this just a "transitional" stage until "Gecko Runtime
Environment" (Mozilla base libraries)  is mature enough to use as an SDK
and Firebird and Thunderbird can eventually be released as xpi packages
that install on top of a base GRE install?

I don't think Mozilla.org is doing a good job *clearly* articulating at
a higher level the direction the project is heading.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I am still relatively new to the
Mozilla project., I got involved April 1999.

--pete

--
Pete Collins
www.mozdev.org