[Project_owners] Yesterdays Debacle

Biju G C bijumaillist at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 16:43:46 EDT 2003

pete,

after I used

 header("Expires: " . date("r",time() + 60*60*24));

(It cashes for 24 hours)
and i was getting a better performace in QuickManager.

Still if you want to stop people from using QuickManager for a while
I can ask them do that.

> One has been the issue of http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/
> stealing bandwidth and CPU from Mozdev. This as I understand has been

texturizer.net is our friend David Tenser's site
he is very much dedicated in promoting mozilla products.
hence a great contributor to our goal.
Because of http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/
many people is knowing about us

I think HE WAS ASKED to use "DATABASE"
and many of us know he is using extensions.js.php

so i feel it is not "stealing".
Why we want hurt feeling of such a GREAT GUY.

Regarding band width, This not an isolated problem at
extensions.js.php it is a mozdev.org wide issue.

=== following is relevent part from my post at [database]

None of the web pages at mozdev has a expiry time, and last modified time
is set to the visit time (ie, the generated time).
This makes every page to refresh on each visit.
We dont notice this because most pages are small.

But this become noticeable in big pages like
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/
as well as on pages with long notes like
http://games.mozdev.org/xultris/

I am not passing blame on anybody,
if somebody should be blamed I will be in that list
because even after knowing I never pushed this issue hard
or brought it to notice of mozdev admins.

But on other hand by making extensions.js.php and birdthemes.js.php
CLAV is doing GREAT HELP.
I really appreciate it !!!!

But whether it is JS or HTML, serving big pages with
PHP/JSP/ASP is NOT a GOOD IDEA.
This is what I learned from my experience.

we should serve it as static file.

Always remember WWW was created to serve file documents,
but not an output of application.
(even thought majority of sites are doing that now)

cheers
Biju