[Project_owners] Yesterdays Debacle

Pete Collins pete at mozdev.org
Thu Oct 23 10:58:45 EDT 2003

As many of you may have noticed, Mozdev has been performing slow as
shit. Yesterday, I shut down cvs right before I burnt out myself.  The
load on the box is minimal, yet we appear not to be able to get web
pages out the door. I have not asertained the entire source of the

One has been the issue of http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/
stealing bandwidth and CPU from Mozdev. This as I understand has been
resolved. If there are any projects that are generating data from db
reads on Mozdev, we need to know about it.

I know about extensionroom, theme, database and quickmanager projects.

*PLEASE* remove all php generated db reads. Any xml data *must* be
cached. Daily preferrred.

After this has been sorted out, then we can reevaluate to asertain if
this was indeed the source of the bottleneck. If this helps, then we
know it was part of the problem and we need to continue looking for the

Also, understand, I am a volunteer. When shit like this happens, it
sucks away very valuable time I just don't have chasing these issues
that could have been avoided by better communication.  Someone mentioned
that cdn knows about these projects. Yes cnd is an admin, but he is not
the greatest communicator and usually relies on me reading his mind. :)

So "pretty please with sugar on top". Run this stuff by admin at mozdev.org
first before implementing. We are here to enable you guys, but if the
results of your actions render Mozdev unusable, then it ends up hurting
the comunity.

This has been a Mozdev disservice announcement.

Pete Collins