[Project_owners] New Spam tactic

Jay Garcia Jay at JayGarcia.com
Mon Oct 6 23:17:34 EDT 2003

On 06.10.03 22:05, Mirzmaster wrote:

--- Original Message ---

> This is ridiculous... there must be a way to combat these individuals.
>
> I recall from the previous thread on this spam issue that the
> individual(s) responsible for the spamming are doing it over a dialup
> connection... well surely there must be a way to track that person down
> through their ISP.  What are the laws governing spam?  Shouldnt' it be
> as simple as to report to the ISP of the spammer that the spammer had a
> particular IP at a particular period in time during which they
> intentionally spammed Mozdev projects, and have the ISP deal with that
> client without revealing their personal information?  I am being too
> naive about it?  :S
>
> Sohail Mirza
> Owner, vCard Project
> http://vcard.mozdev.org
>

> On 06/10/2003 10:54 PM, mark bokil wrote:
>
>> That is just plain evil. Who would ever respond to a company that did
>> that.
>>
>> -mark
>>
>> Pete Collins wrote:
>>
>>> They are utterly relentless.
>>>
>>> There is a new spam tactic I just saw today.
>>>
>>> Spammers are sending spam to:
>>>
>>>   $project-owner at mozdev.org
>>>
>>> This is the mailman alias for the mailman list owner. There is just
>>> no end to what they will do to send you spam.
>>>
>>> --pete

Send a report to the abuse at TheISP address and if the ISP has an AUP
specifically stating that spamming is against policy, then the ISP may
terminate the connection.

Finding out who is responsible can be rather difficult and may require a
court order to do so because of privacy restrictions on the part of the
ISP. Let the ISP deal with it.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion - Mozilla Champion
The UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org