[Project_owners] Copyright belongs to employer (was: READ THIS)

Thomas Thurman thomas at thurman.org.uk
Sat Nov 15 17:18:36 EST 2003

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 12:15:55PM +0100, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Yeah. Some people in NYC (not California) claim that whatever program
> you write, *even in your free time, at home*, is owned by your employer
> (if you are a programmer). Check your contracts for that, too.
>
> I am not aware of such legislation in Europe.

I worked as a programmer in England and my contract required this. I don't
know whether the provision was legally valid, but the contract certainly
said it. I just requested letters of exemption for each program.

(Actually, the way it was worded would have meant that even if I was
writing a novel on my own time, the copyright would have belonged to the
company. I think that's pretty daft, but no less daft than claiming
unrelated software.)