[Project_owners] READ THIS

Thomas Thurman thomas at thurman.org.uk
Sat Nov 15 17:11:16 EST 2003

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 05:38:15AM -0500, HJ wrote:
> Anybody here developing (open) software on your employers computer system(s)?
>
> Why? Because you don't own copyrights in that case. Your employer can claim the
> copyrights, because you used *his* computer system(s)!

I think it's a good plan, if you work as a software developer, to get your
employer to sign a letter saying "We disclaim all rights to Project Foo".
Even if all your work is done on your own time, it's as well to be sure.
(Some people's contracts require this, or they say your work will be the
company's, even if you wrote it at 2am. I don't know whether they *can*
require it, but they often do.)

IANAL, of course.