[Project_owners] Localization

Karsten Düsterloh mnenhy at tprac.de
Sat Nov 8 16:11:28 EST 2003

Laeb (hotmail) aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
> To sum up the situation: during installation, there is no way to know what
> language is installed (without having to change access rights necessary for
> "Components.class..." code) and there is no method for prompting the user
> for the language he wants.

That's correct - and you can't work around it from install.js in any
other way. I even tried with .properties files, but they, too, lack the
ability to depend upon locales.

If we assume that a user usually wants to install an addon in the locale
of his Mozilla, a 'simple' change to loadResources() could make it
adhere to the currently selected locale...
(You'd still have to install all locales with the addon, though.)

It may be worth adding a locales attribute to the pseudo-navigator
object available in install.js, too.

> To choose a language, the only way i found is this:

Currently, I give all alerts in all (three) languages and install all
three locales, but that isn't very extensible.

BTW:
> > Deutsch : klicken 'Löschen' für Deutsch wahl"

Deutsch: Klicken Sie 'Abbrechen' für eine deutsche Wahlmöglichkeit"

> > "Deutsch : [ klicken 'OK' für deutsch version anzubringen ]

Deutsch: [ Klicken Sie 'OK', um die deutsche Version zu installieren ]

Karsten