[Project_owners] Wrong browser for installation

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch.news at beonex.com
Sat Dec 20 14:48:50 EST 2003

Ben Bucksch wrote:

> The script also offers a convience function genLaunch() for people who
> want to offer both a download link as well as an install button. A
> longer description can be found at
> <http://www.mozdev.org/notes/installation/>.

Note that my scripts were written for my case, where there is a certain
browser and version, but different add-ons. You usually have the
opposite case, you need to support several browsers / versions at once.

The genLaunch() script could be extended to determine the browser
variation and version and then fetch the appropriate package from the
download links. E.g. you could have <a
href="....xpi"> for an XPI to install JabberZilla for Windows, confirmed
to work on Mozilla 1.4 and 1.5 and Firebird 0.5, and genLaunch() does
the rest - you'd have only one install button for everyone.

If you make significant improvements such as this, please share them.