[Project_owners] Tech-review Longhorn vs. Mozilla

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Thu Dec 4 17:14:26 EST 2003

Benjamin Bock wrote:

> Hi,
> I just read this Article and thought it is quite interesting:
>
> http://www.devx.com/DevX/Article/17899
>
> What do you experts think about this?
>
> Thanks for your opinions :-)
> Benjamin Bock

I also read the article, it's an interesting idea to compare the two,
but the author makes some basic mistakes.
A lot of the similarities he finds are fairly surface-level. For
example, the "Window in XML" - obviously if you have a very simple
window, coded in XML, two different ways of doing it are going to look
similar. Again, two JavaScript-based languages doing a SOAP call can't
look that different.
The real differences in APIs are much more complex.
He's comparing an operating system to an application platform, and he
sometimes makes significant errors in doing so.
For example:
  "the vector-based rendering engine underneath Avalon, which is far
more extensive and flexible than the raster-based one inside Mozilla."
I think if the things you comparing are like apples and oranges, and
then you find some surface similarities, and then go on to find deeper
differences, you haven't really concluded anything or shown anything,
you need to do a much more in-depth intelligent analysis to do that.

David