[Project_owners] Disabling downloads from within mozilla

Tom Pride tpride at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
Tue Dec 2 09:44:41 EST 2003

Hi all

I am trying to lock down mozilla so that I can use it as the web browser
on some public internet terminals.  I have been able to disable access
to nearly everything by editing the XUL files within comm.jar ( which is
one of the jar files located in /mozilla/chrome/).  However, I cannot
find a way of stopping mozilla from giving me a download dialog when I
click on a hyper link that points to a resource which is of a file type
that mozilla does not understand eg: .exe, .gz, .tgz, etc
To make matters worse I cannot disable the ability to hold down shift
and left mouse click on any hyperlink which then also gives you the
download dialog.  I need to disable both of these features as I do not
want users getting any sort of access to the file system.  Is there any
way I can do this?

Thanks