[Project_owners] Re: QuickReply Download...

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Aug 25 13:53:03 EDT 2003

Jed wrote:

> Hey there!
> This is Jed, project owner of Extension-Room
> <http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/>.
> I ran by your extensions site today to download the latest 0.4b
> release, and thought about your installation page.
>
> Over at extension-room we have created a PHP script for Thunderbird
> xpi's so that when a user clicks on the install (in our case download)
> link, it will not try and install the xpi in the current browser, but
> will instead offer it as a download like it should (Changes the
> mime/type).
> One can also right-click the file and save-as like normal.
>
> You can find the script here, feel free to link from it if you would
> like. might save some hassles for users wanting to download quickreply.
>
> http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/download.php/http://any-URL-here/file.xpi
> i.e.
> http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/download.php/http://www.transpontine.com/thunderbird/QuickReply-latest.xpi
>

> If you'd rather use the code locally (which both being on modev
> doesn't make sense), you can grab the code here:
> http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/extensionroom/www/download.php?rev=1.10&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>
> Although if you do use the code, please aggregate:
> ""
> //Original script by Cdn @ Extension-Room.
> //http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/download.php
> ""
>
> Cheers, and hope this helps you out.
>
> --JEd

Hi Jed, Project owners

Jed, Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure if this is a good way to sort out
the problem as as far as I can see it means you're re redirecting the
file from the mirrors through mozdev.org, which is exactly what the
mirrors are trying to avoid...
On the other hand, a simple
  AddType application/octet-stream xpi
In an .htaccess file should do the trick.
Maybe these aren't enabled though ... I'm copying this to the project
owners list to see...
Anyone on project_owners, Is it possible to allow the above in an
.htaccess file?

Thanks
David