[Project_owners] Download files seperate from source CVS

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Thu Aug 21 09:29:37 EDT 2003

Pete Collins wrote:

> Roland Mainz wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> ----
>>
>> Is it possible to have downloadable files seperate from the source CVS ?
>> I'd like to avoid that people who want the source for my project pull
>> the huge pile of binary tarball with it, too...
>

> That's been an RFE for a long time, but nobody has time to implement it.
>
> I did set up ftp a few years back, but had to take it down because ftp
> is too insecure and gets hacked al the time.
>
> All these issues are problems because no one had time to get to them.
> Sorry.
>
> --pete

Just thinking of other alternatives...
We could use ssh, set up ssh accounts with the shell set to /bin/false,
then people can use scp to copy the files into the appropriate directory.
Then the ssh accounts can't really be used for anything else, and
permissions can be set appropriately so that only the download
directories of the correct projects are accessible.

David