[Project_owners] Spam targeted at mozilla community?

John Dobbins john at brandxcomputers.com
Wed Aug 20 21:45:08 EDT 2003

Justin Haygood wrote:

> Pete Collins wrote:
>
>> Robert J. Accettura wrote:
>>
>>> I got an email today from Word-of-Mouth.org.  SPAM....
>>>
>>> The name sounded familiar, so like any geek, I googled... and
>>> remembered where I heard of it:
>>> http://lynggaard.blog-city.com/read/169160.htm
>>>
>>> I'm starting to think they are using a mozilla commuity website
>>> (MozDev perhaps) to generate their list?
>>>
>>> Anyone else getting one of these?
>>

>> I don't recall seeing anything from word of mouth, but i do hit the
>> delete button pretty fast.  ;-)
>>
>> It's a shame how much time, energy and resources this all eats up.
>> The net is starting to be held hostage by all this crap.
>>
>> If a virus reads someones addressbook, well then this type of
>> proagation will eventually hit everyone even our mailing lists here
>> on Mozdev.
>>

>> --pete
>>
> I have yet to see this new email virus. In fact, I have seen 2 email
> viruses arrive in any inbox of mine, but I never opened them

I Got one today, but it isn't the first I've heard of them, I have also
been targeted through my Company e-mail address. Word of Mouth isn't a
Virus, it's an Internet Con run out of the Phillipines. For a fee they
claim they will tell you what some one has allegedly entered in thier
data base about you, but after paying the fee the information is allways
"lost".
http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/wordofmouth.asp