[Padma] How to handle proprietary fonts encoded in utf-8

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Sun May 3 11:34:55 PDT 2009

On Sun, 3 May 2009 19:27:08 +0530
arjuna rao chavala <arjunaraoc at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net> wrote:

> My point was not about eenadu

Um, OK.

> > http://www.sakshi.com/ does not specify a charset,
> > so my Firefox defaults to UTF-8, but that is obviously
> > wrong. Downloading the font, SW908.TTF, shows Telugu
> > characters in places reserved for ASCII, and nothing in
> > the places reserved for Telugu, so it is obviously
> > non-Unicode. The portions that look OK seem to be images.
> > However, one should be able to map this font for
> > Padma.
> >
> Please select non utf-8 as encoding and see that Sakshi does not display
> telugu properly in many of the places.
[...]

That is the point. There is no standardised encoding that
the site seems to follow, so (without Padma) the only way
to get a standards-compliant browser to render it properly
is to download their font, with the proprietary encoding,
and always use that for this site.

However, this is exactly the problem that Padma was designed
to solve. If you make appropriate tables for Padma, using the
SW908.TTF font used on the site, Padma will automagically convert
it to UTF-8 for you.

Regards,
Gora