[Padma] How to handle proprietary fonts encoded in utf-8

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Sat May 2 11:37:58 PDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:53:57 +0530
arjuna rao chavala <arjunaraoc at googlemail.com> wrote:

> No need to be aware of language. Just have a glance at www.eenadu.net with
> Padma and www.sakshi.com with proprietary font loaded. You will see
> extraneous characters (double dagger with www.sakshi.com.
[...]

Neither of these pages seem to be UTF-8 encoded.
http://www.eenadu.net/ has charset=windows-1252,
and charset=ISO-8859-1, and my Firefox3 recognises
it as windows-1252. Of course, it does not have
the proper font, so cannot show the characters
correctly.

http://www.sakshi.com/ does not specify a charset,
so my Firefox defaults to UTF-8, but that is obviously
wrong. Downloading the font, SW908.TTF, shows Telugu
characters in places reserved for ASCII, and nothing in
the places reserved for Telugu, so it is obviously
non-Unicode. The portions that look OK seem to be images.
However, one should be able to map this font for
Padma.

Regards,
Gora