[Padma] How to handle proprietary fonts encoded in utf-8

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Sat May 2 11:28:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:18:14 -0300
Golam Mortuza Hossain <gmhossain at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Unfortunately,  that precisely these sites do.  Here is an example
>
> http://www.amardeshbd.com
>
> They basically assign every Bengali conjunct a separate codepoint
> which is in violation of Unicode standard. I may be wrong in saying
> whether those characters are exactly Chinese but from the appearance
> of the glyphs, it looks similar.
[...]

I finally ran into such an example on a page displayed by
Google News. At least in that case, it turns out to be a
character from the Unicode private use area.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing that can be
done to fix this in a generic way. The Unicode FAQ entry
on the private use area specifically disclaims any
responsibility: http://unicode.org/faq/casemap_charprop.html#8
So, the best solution is probably what you suggested earlier,
i.e., if you know what the character is supposed to be,
special-case it for Padma.

Regards,
Gora