[Padma] How to handle proprietary fonts encoded in utf-8

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Mon Apr 27 10:49:36 PDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:36:37 -0300
Golam Mortuza Hossain <gmhossain at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I have seen such situations for couple of Bengali sites as well.
> They use UTF-8 encoding but their character map is non-standard
> as they use code-points from other languages.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense, and
is actually OK, though probably not good practice.

> (I wonder how could a company hire such developers who
> essentially screw their own site in Google search (Bengali texts
> appears to be mix of Bengali + Chinese character) but still get
> paid!)
[...]

Agreed on the lack of standardisation by most so-called web
developers. However, I don't see how one would get Chinese,
as no Indian language characters should be mapped there in
Unicode. Can you point me to any examples?

Regards,
Gora