[Padma] How to handle proprietary fonts encoded in utf-8

Golam Mortuza Hossain gmhossain at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 08:36:37 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM, arjuna rao chavala
<arjunaraoc at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> The one year old Sakshi  Telugu news paper  is using utf-8 with proprietary
>> code points.  Like Eenadu, extraneous characters (double dagger  in case of
>> Sakshi and Hyphen in case of Eenadu) appear, when the page is rendered
> with
>> proprietary font.
> [...]
> This does not make sense to me, because if the encoding
> claimed to be UTF-8, but was really some proprietary
> encoding, no browser (nor any rendering engine that did
> not have that proprietary encoding specifically built in)
> would be able to render the text properly.
>>> You can download the font that was utilized from the URL home page and
> see for yourself on Firefox.

I have seen such situations for couple of Bengali sites as well.
They use UTF-8 encoding but their character map is non-standard
as they use code-points from other languages.
(I wonder how could a company hire such developers who
essentially screw their own site in Google search (Bengali texts
appears to be mix of Bengali + Chinese character) but still get
paid!)

BTW, Padma can handle them without any issue. Just re-map
those non-standard character to standard Unicode.

For example: I used

XXX.codepoint_E502    = "\uE502" ;
XXX.toPadma[XXX.codepoint_E502] = Padma.vowelsn_AI ;

Cheers,
Golam