[Padma] Reg. Porting Padma to Webkit

Prunthaban Kanthakumar prunthaban at google.com
Tue Nov 18 04:36:44 PST 2008

Hi All,

This is Prunthaban from Google Chrome browser team.

We are working on improving Indian language support in Google Chrome browser
(which used Webkit for rendering) and as a part of this work, we wanted to
do something similar to Padma in Webkit. But we would like to integrate it
as part of Webkit rather than having it as an extension/plug-in.
There were some discussions on this in Webkit and you can refer to the
comments in this bug discussion for details.

At present we are in the process of rewriting Padma plug-in and look-up
tables in C++ so that they can be integrated into Webkit.

Would you be able to assist us in doing this? If you are interested in
contributing to - porting Padma in C++, please let us know so that we can
discuss further.
At present we do not have clear ideas of Padma's design because the current
team here do not have people with knowledge in all the languages (Padma
supports many languages and the intricacies of diffirent languages adds to
the complexity). Would you be able to provide your assistance in this
If the Padma developers team can help us with developing look-up tables for
fonts, etc in C++, it will be really helpful.

Let us know about your preferences.