[Padma] Bengali fonts

সোহম চ্যাটার্জী soham.chatterjee at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 01:29:25 PDT 2008

Hello,

I can't thank you enough for the brilliance of your work. This extension is
a milestone towards the eventual adoption of Unicode for display of content
in Indic languages without dependence on platform and in a standardized
format that enables searching and archiving of news data.

In the present context due to various factors like governmental
policy-making apathy, the misfortune of domination by a single vendor for
common computing needs that disregarded, till recently, the requirement of
software in Indic languages, and the regressive attitude adopted by
content-producers of vernacular languages who relied on dynamic fonts.

The Padma extension already makes it possible to view the Bengali language
news web-sites Anandabazar Patrika and Bartaman Patrika. The pages are
rendered mostly correct except for some errors with rendering of vowels like
"aa"(Bartaman), short "i"(Anandabazar), placement of "e"(Bartaman) and ou,
placement of chandrabindu. I believe these can be rectified in future
versions.

As demonstrated by your excellent coverage of South Indian and other Indic
scripts, I would also like to see such development work is extended to
Bengali as well. In this context I have made a list of the the Bengali
newspapers web-sites with the widest circulation/popularity and the dynamic
fonts they use.

I have attached a zip file that includes the font files in the respective
folders named after the newspapers using them.

The most popular sites and the used dynamic fonts are -

For pouplar West-Bengal Bengali newspapers -
1> DATAN_.ttf - Aajkal
2> Shree550.ttf - Uttar Banga Sambad

1> prothoma.ttf and bngsalpn.ttf - Prothom Alo
2> TONNBM__.ttf - Jaijaidin, The Daily Amadershomoy, The Daily Dinkal,
Manabzamin, London Bangla
3> sutom.ttf - The Daily Ittefaq, The Daily Bhorer Kagoj, The Daily Jugantor
4> Boishkhi.ttf - Daily Naya Diganta and The Daily Amader Sangram

5> samakal_.ttf - Shamokal
6> itxbeng.ttf - Parabaas
7> falgun.ttf - Vinnomot
8> alihsan.ttf - Al-Ihsan
The above papers are most popular in Bangladesh

It is my request that the Bengali fonts for the West-Bengal newspapers and
at least the first four fonts of the most widely read Bangladeshi
news-papers are made available through Padma.

Looking forward to further development of this great piece of work.

Best wishes,

Soham Chatterjee
--
সোহম