[Padma] Thanks for wonderful work

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Tue Aug 5 08:30:23 PDT 2008

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 04:56:32 -0700 (PDT)
"Raveendra Reddy B." <ravindra_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> Is it possible for you to bring out a stand alone editor under
> linux like telugu lipi for windows so that it will be easy to
> type in any editor and convert it to various languages.

Have you tried the free software OpenOffice on Microsoft Windows?
Not really just an editor, but a complete word processor. I am
not 100% sure, but think that it supports Telugu on that
platform. Definitely does on Linux.

Also, I am not sure of what you mean by conversion to various
languages. Padma does not do that, but just code conversion. If
you need a stand-alone code converter, I am not sure if anyone
has built something like this on top of Padma, but this would be
wonderful.

For various reasons, mostly to do with simplicity, we have built
a code converter around the m17n library, instead of around
Padma. This is also free software, and currently is in beta
testing with Hindi, and Oriya. If you wish to help out with
Telugu, we would apreciate it. Speakers of other languages are
also invited to help out here. Also, we do plan on eventually
importing the Padma font data.

Regards,
Gora

P.S. Nagarjuna, we had talked about this earlier, but never
     followed through. Can you enable Oriya in Padma, so that I
     can add font data for Oriya?