[Padma] Problems in ttf to otf convertions

Sunil Mohan sunil at atc.tcs.com
Mon May 28 06:01:24 PDT 2007

గురు, 2007-05-24 at 19:07 +0530 నాడు, kinshul at students.iiit.ac.in
వ్రాశారు:
[...]
> Our plan was to write a parser which would use the statements mentioned
> just above, to generate reverse mappings. We planned to use the
> information Devanagari.js to replace padma variables with their
> corresponding  unicode values (using the codepoint-padma mappings in
> Devanagari.js) and to use the information in BEJA.js file to replace BEJA
> variables with their hexadecimal values. This way we would have the
> reverse mappings. But there are many problems. The most prominent one is
> with half forms. Since there are no half forms in unicode charts, there
> are no codepoints corresponding to them in Devanagari.js and also there is
> no mention of padma.halffm_X in the Devanagari.js. It just appears in the
> BEJA.js file (see the line above, marked with ******). So, we are in a fix
> about half forms. There are a few other doubts(for example the line marked
> with +++++ is not clear), but this is the chief one. I guess we are
> conceptually wrong, somewhere, or maybe we need to know more.
> We thought about the method you suggested, in which could compare web
> pages (one in unicode and the other in ttf hexadecimal values), but we are
> not clear abt its implimentaion. We need help....

There is no way to properly generate the reverse mappings from the
mapping that are available in Padma.

The method I have described earlier involves treating Padma as a black
box converter and using brute force (helped by sample pages) to identify
what input sequence will generate a required output sequence. As we
talked earlier, we shall discuss again in detail in the next meeting
tomorrow.

Sunil