[Padma] Padma Digest, Vol 21, Issue 3

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Sun May 13 11:25:19 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 19:31 +0530, V S Rawat wrote:
> On 5/13/2007 07:11 PM India Time, _Nagarjuna Venna_ wrote:
> > On 5/12/07, V S Rawat <vsrawat at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> While you are releasing an standalone manual converter, would it be too
> >> much work to develop scripts that transform the unicoded text BACK TO
> >> proprietary fonts (unicode to chanakya, unicode to shusha, so on.)??
> >>

> > A few people have asked for this before and my answer remains the same
> > - as a matter of principle, this will not be part of Padma. However,
> > the infrastructure to do it is in the code and the implementation is
> > pretty straightforward - if you need it there is nothing stopping you
> > from adding support for yourself.
> "there is nothing stopping you"????

  I have been watching this discussion, and while I strongly agree with
you on the need for a stand-alone converter, I can also quite
understand why Nagarjuna is unwilling to make it part of Padma.
  Some of us, including a group from IIIT-Hyderabad have been talking
about something like this for a while, and I believe that they have
some summer students working on this. I have also been thinking about a
more general-purpose Indic character processing library, that will have
utility in many areas. So, let us join hands in this. There is much
work, both technical, and non-technical to do. Please contact me
off-list. I will also inform this list when we actually start work.