[Padma] Padma Digest, Vol 21, Issue 3

V S Rawat vsrawat at gmail.com
Sun May 13 07:01:50 PDT 2007

On 5/13/2007 07:11 PM India Time, _Nagarjuna Venna_ wrote:

> On 5/12/07, V S Rawat <vsrawat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> While you are releasing an standalone manual converter, would it be too
>> much work to develop scripts that transform the unicoded text BACK TO
>> proprietary fonts (unicode to chanakya, unicode to shusha, so on.)??
>>

> A few people have asked for this before and my answer remains the same
> - as a matter of principle, this will not be part of Padma. However,
> the infrastructure to do it is in the code and the implementation is
> pretty straightforward - if you need it there is nothing stopping you
> from adding support for yourself.

"there is nothing stopping you"????

it would surely need developing programming script. I don't know how to
do that. So physical limitations are indeed there.

Anyway, even if it is not a part of padma extension, can it be
considered a part of the standalone manual convertor that you are
wokring to revamp?

> Thanks,
> Nagarjuna

I can understand that you also have 24 hours in your day like other are
having, still, I am seeing it more from a philosophical view point that
there is so much confusion due to proprietary indian fonts, that it is
hindering the moving towards unicode fonts. We have to struggle with
that government released CD or search through websites to find simple
conversions. People are just fed up with this all. They prefer to remain
stuck with their prorietory fonts unable to find information.

I have interacted quite some people in the real world, non-techy ones,
prompting them to convert their data to unicode, and their single
refrain is: "What if tomorrow I find that something can't be done in
unicode font? Then, my data remain stuck with unicode and I can't
convert it back to my current fonts. My work will come to a halt."

Rising from scratch, Firefox has spread to become a name that is today
on everybody's lips. Along with that, firefox's extensions and padma are
available to everybody throughout the world for free for use in a
convenient way.

Can Padma become a platform bringing all proprietary font users together
and motivate them to move towards unicode fonts by providing information
and methods in easy ways?

--
Rawat