[Padma] Padma menus and website content updations

Nagarjuna Venna vnagarjuna at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 06:48:24 PDT 2007

Thanks for your comments. I will try to address as many as possible
here. At the end of this, we can hopefully agree upon a list of action
iterms.

On 7/7/07, V S Rawat <vsrawat at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1.
> Now that FF and TB both had changed their nomenclature, please change
> the word *Extensions* to *Add-ons*

I fixed this at the Addon home page but not at Mozdev. Will do this.

> 2.
> It is odd that Padma doesn't have any direct entry in Tools menu
> dropdown. We necessarily have to into Add-ons window that takes time in
> opening and then in searching Padma in it.

I think addons should live under addons. I, personally, wouldn't like
extensions that keep adding themselves to top level menus. I think
thats what extension developers manual recommends too.

> 3.
> Rightclick menu directly lists all the selected settings of padma and it
> could go very, very long if a person has selected all or most of the
> settings. It would help if rightclick menu rather has a padma group and
> the settings of padma are clubbed as a subgroup of that.

This has been on the wishlist for a while. Never got around to doing it.

> 4. I went to http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~navin/india/songs/isongs/1/158.html
>
> that has a hindi song written in itrans (mentioned later below). I
> selected the itrans part, rightclicked, and clicked on "Transform to
> Unicode".
>
> Nothing happened.

Padma has two modes - conversion of dynamic fonts which happens when
the text is written to be displayed in a font that it understands.
This 'writing' can happen in many ways - wrapping in FONT tag is one
mechanism. Padma supports all such mechanisms.

The second mode is support for transliteration. The source is in Roman
Script and there is no way for Padma to know what the method of
transliteration is. So you have to tell Padma what the source is.

> Can't we transform ITRANS directly to unicode? Why?

Yes, you can directly transform. You just need to click on the right button.

> 5. I need to convert the itrans part of the above to Unicode. Manually,
> because I also want to see the english itrans part. How to convert from
> itrans to unicode using padma?

Click on Transform from ITRANS to whatever script you want.

> 6. If we are specifically selecting some Padma related option, and Padma
> doesn't find anything to work upon, it should display a message window
> saying that what it was looking for and what it didn't found (tag, font,
> encodings) and should also suggest some minimum things how to rectify
> that. Maybe give a link to help or webpage where that "nothing happens"
> is discussed.

You are welcome to write a manual. I just don't have the cycles to do
it. I agree with your arguments in general and it is unfortunate that
no one can do it.

> If a user has specifically selected some Padma related option, then
> trust that user is right and it is padma which could not find something
> that it was looking for.

That's a philosophical point.

> 7. I selected the itrans part in the above page and clicked itrans to
>
> same errors get repeated several times.

All these are well known bugs in ITRANS transformer. No one really
uses it, so they never got fixed. I really need help in fixing this
stuff - so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Nagarjuna