[Padma] Support for Bengali pfr fonts used by AnandaBazar.com

Subho Chatterjee subho.chatterjee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 10:40:45 EST 2006

Hi Nagarjuna,

Thanks for the explanation - I crawled thru some of the archived threads
after I email the list.
looks like there is some demand for supporting the bengali newspaper
sites...

I have no idea how much work it would be to start adding support, but I'll
spend some time in April on it.

I guess another interesting path to pursue is to contact anadabazar.com to
see if they're planning to move off PFRs anytime in the
near future. If so, that's not much incentive for putting a lot of work into
this.

The unfortunate thing here is that the MS IE on Windows has a PFR ActiveX
control from Bitstream, so if we use the 80-20 rule and asusme that at least
80% of the readers are on Windows and can use IE, then limited motivation in
pursuing it as well.

Alternatively, we can see if Bitstream is willing to open source their code
and we can support it as a Mozilla extension then.

I'll pursue some of these avenues over the next little while and keep this
group posted.

In the meanwhile, looks like I may have a workaround using Netscape 4.x on
Mac OS 9 (in Classic mode on OS X).

thanks
Subho