[Padma] Gowtami and Pothana fonts

Nagarjuna Venna vnagarjuna at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 17:30:24 EST 2005

On 11/26/05, Suresh Kumar Nalluru <nasuku at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>  First, Thanks for this wonderful software.
>  I installed pothana font on my windows xp box.  For few days, it used to
> show pothana font for telugu pages.Now, firefox is back to showing gowtami
> font. Is anyone aware of any work-around for this?
>
>  I am not sure if its the issue with windows or firefox or padma.

Not an issue with Padma... :-)

Padma doesn't know anything about Unicode fonts, so it can't be an
issue with Padma. I believe the algorithm in FF is to find the first
font that supports the range of code points in the page. Gautami
probably started showing up before Pothana in the list on your system.

A potential workaround is possible if FF supported ability to specify
the Telugu font to be used like in IE. You can't do it for Telugu
today (the only Indic languages in the drop down list are Devanagari
and Tamil from Preferences->General->Fonts & Colors). Someone should
look into adding Telugu (and the rest) in the prefs dialog - I think
it might be a simple change to the XUL with no code changes.

Good to hear from you, BTW...

nagarjuna