[Locallink] Please update this to run under Foxfire 1.5

Michael J Gruber locallink-owner at mozdev.org
Thu Mar 2 15:09:36 EST 2006

Volker Kleinschmidt venit, vidit, dixit 2006-03-02 10:59:
> Michael,
>
> I respectfully submit that the reason there were no other requests
> about LocalLink is likely that it just worked, and worked beautifully,
> easily, and behind the scenes, so people tended to forget about its
> existence.
>
> However, with Firefox 1.5 it no longer works. Worse, the global policy
> to allow local links has also been removed, and people have to resort
> again to manually editing a preferences file to turn on this
> capability on a per-site basis. For somebody needing this option for a
> lot of sites that gets incredibly tedious, but most people won't ever
> even dare to make these manual edits.
>
> I have read bugzilla-discussions about this topic until I fell over
> with boredom, over and over again. The people making these decisions
> may think about security, but not about people. The average browser
> user is hopelessly overwhelmed at the mere mention of the word
> Notepad. There is no way in this world (not even when hell is long
> frozen over) that one can expect regular run-of-the-mill users to make
> these edits in their prefs file or even via inspectors or other
> convoluted interfaces. It is hard enough to get them to understand the
> need to right-click. I would have thought I was breaking through open
> doors with that comment, given that you wrote the extension in the
> first place, but since you are talking about the CAPS system that
> doesn't seem to be true after all.
>
> I work in tech support for Blackboard, the large eLearning server
> software provider, and our (and of course also our competitor's!)
> users constantly run into the problem that they cannot access files on
> the CDs they bought/received for their classes via the links provided
> by their instructors or 3rd-party content developers. Content
> developers tend to use IE, where this works, and links to local
> content from remote sites are a fact of life that one cannot simply
> discuss away. There is a need for this stuff, and your extension
> beautifully fulfilled this need for average non-technical computer
> users. I consider the existence of this extension one of the main
> reasons to use Firefox over the complete Mozilla application suite.
>
> So I and our users would really appreciate it if you would update this
> to work with modern Firefox versions, and for the Mozilla suite as
> well, if possible.
>
> --Volker

Volker,

You're certainly right with your assumptions regarding ordinary users. I
wish we had a reasonable GUI for CAPS, something like IE's zones. Then
users could simply click on links instead of using a context menu.

I do plan to adjust LL to FF 1.5. I'm sorry I haven't got around to
doing it so far. It's partly because it seemed to me that nobody is
using it, partly because I'm not using it either, but mostly because of
lack of time - I've got a job and a family, and neither involve Firefox
extensions ;)

To be more explicit, I also plan to change what I called "automagic
localization" because it seems to break with every FF/TB update.

What version of the Mozilla suite are you interested in? 1.7 is stable
but old, and Seamonkey is in a state of transition. I'm not sure which
one to support.

So, in short, private communication with the OP convinced me to continue
LL, I just have to find time to do it.

Michael